Saturday, March 08, 2008

My First(?) Kindergarten Program!


So, as I typed that title I realized I have no idea whether or not I was actually IN a kindergarten program of my own, but this is certainly the first I remember, anyway, and it was awesome! The kids really did a great job, and everyone seemed to enjoy both the afternoon and the evening performances. But honestly, how could you not? Just watching the kids periodically waving to their parents throughout the program, or the random girl who stood up in the middle and threw a tantrum because apparently her parents weren't looking. We made sure to keep waving, lest our child turn into the next exhibitionist. There are four kindergarten classes at Erick's school, and they each have at least 25 kids in them, so I'm impressed the teachers pulled it off at all. I was blown away that they were able to do it in style. Erick's in the top row, just off-center in this photo to the left.

I'm sick my pictures turned out all grainy from today, it took me until tonight to realize the ISO was messed up on my camera, so I apologize for the fuzziness. However, I had to include this picture as a prime example of what I've learned is termed "girl-trapped." I asked Erick today after the morning program why he didn't smile more, and the grand reason for his pained expressions in the a.m. pictures was that "me, Markus and Dillon were girl-trapped!" This picture was taken during the evening performance, and is the very best smile I got. Notice, however, the telling body positioning. Apparently the condition is painful, even in kindergarten.

Grandma and Grandpa F attended the evening performance, and Grandpa S came this afternoon, so we were well represented! Erick's holding the "invitation" he made in his class to help invite the school to the big show. It says "Ples com to ar pogam Marck 7 10:00 am". I especially loved the "Marck" because I'm sure the confusion on the last two letters comes from the spelling of his own name. :-) Then there's a picture of a stage with two people performing. I think it was rather observant he drew the stage to include the shape of the steps. You just never know what they'll notice.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a great night! That was quiet a production and Erick is one very handsome boy. So fun that the grandparents came along too. I was laughing so hard about the girl trapped part. That was very inventive and totally true. His body language was VERY telling. Thanks for the good laugh Erick!

Zachary said...

Girl Trapped...such an awful conundrum!

Jenni said...

Aren't boys great!?!?

Jami said...

Girl trapped -- that's hilarious! I think Ellis knows the feeling (being the only Y chromosome in the house). Just be glad Erick feels that way. I worry about the boys in Larrin's class who like sitting next to her! (And Ellis REALLY doesn't like those boys. He thinks it doesn't bode well for things to come.)

Laura F said...

Erick really WAS funny... after the morning program came and went without a smile, I teased him in the afternoon about it. I really felt bad when later on he offered the dinner blessing, and prayed that he'd be able to smile more in his program so mom could get good pictures! I totally laughed, but even then this was the best smile I got.

I'm glad he's averse to being girl trapped at this age... in fact, if he just makes it through the fourth grade assuming girls have cooties I'll be happy. I don't hold out much hope for him after that... it seems they're learning younger these days the intricacies of note passing and having "girlfriends".

Jami said...

I know! It makes me crazy. Marley (who is about to turn 5) told me the other day that during her dance class she was the only girl who had to hold hands with a boy while they were skipping. And since they held hands, she said, "So, I guess he's my boyfriend."

It struck me as so funny that she felt it was out of her control -- you know, if a boy holds your hand, he must be your boyfriend. But I agree that it's all starting too young for kids these days!