Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tuesday Tell-all: What's in a Name?

I think there can be a lot in a name. I've always been proud that I was named Laura ("crown of laurel leaves") Andreah ("valiant") after my great, great grandmother. She was an amazing lady whose many accomplishments included raising a family of eight children alone, after her husband took his first wife to Mexico when polygamy was outlawed. She took in wash and ironing to help make ends meet and lived a long and impressive life. I have a picture of her in my livingroom and have on more than one occcaision found comfort on difficult days in her kindly smile. I didn't know her, but I've always looked forward to meeting her and feel a responsibility toward her because of our shared name.

Nickname: Susie. I think I heard that was the name my dad had picked out for me. :-)

Justin's ("just, upright, righteous")name is kind of funny, because apparently there's a brand of cowboy boots called "Justin", and they were his dad's favorites. We laugh because I have this weepy sentimental story about my name, and he was named after his dad's boots. But be it what it may, I somehow pulled something similar on one of my own children, so I guess the last laughs' on me. :-)

His middle name, Maurice ("dark skinned") is his Dad's first name, which I love, but he doesn't use it often. If we're going by meanings alone, he certainly fits this bill in the summertime - a blessing to our children who seem to fare better under the sun than their mother does.

I struggle naming my children, and the first two times it was borderline traumatic. Erick ("complete ruler") didn't have a name for days, and I didn't think that was a big deal. We both liked the name, it wasn't quite as common as others we liked, and we both had good experiences with people sharing his name. It kind of became process of elimination on the third day because I was so crazy by then Justin helped us make the decision final. Sort of final. Actually, I held on to the birth certificate papers for weeks after that because I still wasn't sure. But over time, he became Erick and now of course I can't imagine him anything but. I also think I have a tendency to five/six letter names. All our kids' names are about the same length, as our mine and Justin's. Two syllables... anyway. I was never completely comfortable with Eric or Erik, so we combined them. Simple as that.

I love using family names as middle names, so his middle name became John ("the Lord is gracious"). My father's middle name is John, and my grandfather's first name is the same. I have a brother with the same middle name as well, so it reminds me of many great men in my life.

Nickname: Pooter-man. No idea where it came from. Enrique-Pallatzo. Again, no idea. Consult my husband. Erick had so many nicknames when he was little it took him years to answer to "Erick". But he was a fun baby who kept us laughing, and nicknames were just part of the game.

Isabel ("God's Promise") came only slightly easier. To tell you the truth, we loved Elizabeth, except that it was too common. I loved the name Isabel (Elizabeth's language cousin), but I honestly had issues knowing OUR Isabel would be blonde with blue eyes, and the Isabels I'd known in South America and otherwise were just the opposite. But I'm glad Justin talked me into it, because we've loved it and she fits it. Isabel, not Isabelle. Serious, sober, We call her Izzie, which brings to mind for me the sizzling sound you hear after lighting roman candles and other explosives. It totally fits because she really is a firecracker!

Her middle name, Rose (a Christian symbol for Mary), is from Justin's grandmother Rosella. I didn't meet her, but look forward to it from the stories I've heard and hope Izzie will feel the kinship I've enjoyed through a name association.

Nicknames: Fizz-cracker, Izzie-pop, Izzie Rose

Audrey ("noble strength") came to me a little differently. Before I was ever expecting this one, I was strolling through the local Crate and Barrel and noticed a line of dishes labeled the "Audrey" collection. I instantly attached myself to the name and knew I'd use it for my next daughter. It was graceful and elegant - very princessey. When we discovered a year later we were having a girl I knew it was meant to be. Although we tease she was named after the dishes, the way Justin was named after the footwear, I actually think she picked the name herself, because it came to me so strongly and because I'd struggled so with the others. She certainly fits the princessy name!

Her middle name is Michelle ("who resembles God"), after my only sister. I hope Audrey will love her own sister and recognize some of how important Izzie will be in her life. I also hope both sisters will gain some understanding some of how much I love my own sister because I've given Audrey her name.

Nickname: Moose. It was applied as a newborn, and when she started measuring so small she was off the charts, it stuck because it was funny. Now it's ironic in another way because she's so thoroughly girly! I'm sure she'll outgrow it eventually, but I'll miss it when she does.

Well, that's it. I have no other names that have "come" to me, or any other inspiration, so we'll see what happens in the future. But for all the grief I felt over names, my children's names fit them perfectly, and I'm perfectly happy with them.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

LOVE IT! What a fun read. You had lot of detail (which I live for) and so many fun tales.

What lovely names you have picked for your family. It is fun that they each has a piece of you or Justin in their name.

Anyone would be lucky to be named after your Dad or Shelly. I gave a little bit of props to your Matt in my name post yesterday. It's quite obvious that I LOVE your whole family!

I loved that Justin was named after boots and that you were inspired by dishes. Really. That is what makes a name so speical, when it has special meaning to a person.

I remember when you had Erick and your dad told us his name. It was fun since you have an Erica in the family too. It's nice to know how you decided to spell it. I really like it with a "ck" on the end.

I loved how you call your Isabel Izzie. It's such a cute, fun name. I love it.

This was on my of TTA because it's something that can be lost if you just don't write it down. It's a wonderful thing to add to your families history and will be a cherished part of their lives.

PS What an amazing story about your great great grandmother. To raise 8 kids on your own should qualify anyone to sainthood. Was her name Andreah or Laura? Just curious.

Cheryl said...

Sorry, me again. That was supposed to read- my favorite TTA. I really did enjoy it.

And I forgot to say how cute all your nicknames for eachother were. I love how random they can be. That is part of being in a family. So fun!

Laura F said...

Cheryl, her name was Laura Andreah Sackett, so I got both names! Lucky, huh? I agree about this being a fun topic, because I may have not written all this otherwise. Thanks TTA! :-)

Zachary said...

What a great post! I have wondered where Moose came from. This was fun to read and learn more about your family!

Sonja said...

What a fun entry, I really love your blog! My name came from a cashier at the grocery store...my dad saw it and wrote it down and showed my mom when he got home....I've always loved the randomness of that!

You all have wonderful names and I agree that choosing names for your children isn't quite as fun and easy as I thought it would be! You did a great job!

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

I hate to always be the one to "correct" your info Laura, but Samuel Arthur took his first wife to Idaho, not Mexico. Your Mexico polygamus ancestors are on your father's side. I'm sure you have heard both stories and just sort of got them put into one. That grandmother also raised a large family alone.

I also loved the read. You are so fun to read. You have the gift.