So, I really am working on the whole "going private" thing, but I have a question that needs desperate attention today and just can't wait. Mostly because I've decided to think about it today, so today it must be done. Tomorrow I'll be on to something else.
Erick's turning 8 in June and is eagerly anticipating his baptism, as are the rest of us! It's kind of unbelievable to me of course, as I'm sure it is to every mom. I'd like to make the day really special for him - it's his baptism day and birthday all in the same day! Have you done anything, or been to any baptism, or heard of anything that you thought was a cute or fun idea? A special gift? I think he'll be getting scriptures, but I wondered about a small framed print (I'm thinking postcard here) of baptism, or something. There's so much kitchy and trinkety stuff out there, it's hard to weed through everything. I'm also not convinced making it special involves spending a ton of money, either. So - here's where you chime in. What do you think? I'd LOVE some ideas!
8 comments:
I saw a great one at a baptism one: a warm blanket as a reminder of the comforting power of the holy ghost. A framed print of Jesus being baptised would also be nice, I think. I can't believe he's old enough to be baptized!
We made a video of Erin...pictures of her from birth to eight years old. We showed it while she was getting dressed. She loves to watch it. It was kind of fun and diffrent
PS make sure your friends over here in Ofallon know when and where it is!!
Holy Cow! 8? Already? I don't believe you :)
First of all, congratulations to Erick. That is very cool. Second, I think the scriptures are a perfect gift.
As for doing something special...I don't think it can get more special than to have his family and loved ones there as he is baptized. Maybe get to the church a little early as just your immediate family, or stay a little longer so that you can share a quiet moment together and talk about what a wonderful blessing this is.
Just an idea.
We gave Madeleine the blanket - a Comforter. She loves it. I went overboard in some areas, and then tried to simplify in others. She pretty much loves the scriptures and the blanket....everything else was nice, but for her those seemed to be the key memory boosters.
It's amazing that we are at 8...I'm still a bit in disbelief, but I kid you not...she has been even more of an angel since the Baptism. I really can tell a difference in her and I think she can feel it too - as the person above stated...that is what is most important.
p.s. although I wanted to do the video, but my computer got left at the jfk security check on our flight out...it was one way my life was simplified for me!
A couple weeks at Stake RS Conference, the CES brother who was speaking mentioned that he and his wife sit down with their children after...or maybe before...I don't remember...they are baptized and write "life goals", they frame it, and hang it up in their room for him or her to read and remember often. Some examples he gave were, "I will not date until I'm 16", "I will read my scriptures daily", "I will try my best in school everyday", etc. I thought it was a wonderful idea and a chance to talk with your child about choices and consequences.
I also love the blanket idea! :)
I am excited to hear about what you decide to do to make his day special! :)
My nephew, Danny, got a large, fluffy towel with his name and the date of his baptism on it.
My sis, Emily, made Julianna a book that had in it the covenants we make at baptism and some nice quotes in it, along with spaces where she could write in the date and the names of the witnesses, etc, as well as a guestbook section where attendees could sign it. It was pretty great, but simple.
My mom use to make money lays. She used cellophane and would tie up quarters. She also made a flower using bills and would add it to the lay. You can use any amount of money (like nickels and dollar bills). That may be a good idea because I know Erick likes money!! ;) If you don't use that idea, let me know because I may just do that for him for his baptism gift.
Thanks for the blog invite Laura! I like all of the ideas shared. And I have one to add to the mix. I went to the baptism of a boy in our ward in Kansas. He had extended family in town for the event, and apparently in their family they do "baptism letters." Basically, when a child is baptized, they get wooden letters that spell their name (they can be stained or painted in their favorite color) that they can put in their room, standing on their dresser, or hanging on their wall, etc. Then for the baptism talk, the letters are used to talk about principles of the gospel. For example, this little boy was named Justin. His Aunt Tammy gave the talk and said that "J" stands for "Jesus Christ" and would talk about that and then move on to the next letter, each standing for something important in the gospel that had to do with them getting baptized that day. I thought it was really sweet and was fun that they'd have a cool decoration in their room that not only spelled their name but could remind them of the "T" for their testimony, etc. We might be doing this when Brandon turns 8 in January. But I'm still in total denial, so it's not really happening in January. :)
Post a Comment