Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thoughts on life, death and war

I hope you'll indulge me, but this was a story I think worthy of posting. The first part in purple is from a newspaper article I read on the subject. The full text of Olmsted's letter home is contained at the website listed below. Take a second and look this one up!

Maj. Andrew Olmsted was shot and killed by a sniper in Diyala province on Jan.3. His was a dangerous job in a still-dangerous place in Iraq.

Before he left for this tour, Olmsted knew he might not make it home. As
an avid blogger for the "Rocky Mountain News" paper, he prepared for his own possible death by writing a final entry to be posthumously posted on his own Web site should he be killed.

He wrote, "This is an entry I would have preferred not to have published…"

http://www.andrewolmsted.com/

And here are some of his posts from Iraq detailing some of his actions there.

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/iraqiarmy/archives/2007/12/seeking_support_1.html

4 comments:

Kylie Finlinson said...

Hey Laura, this is Kylie Finlinson, you left a little message on my blog a few months back...Indeed I am related to your husband! I am from Orem but Oak City is where my line of Finlinsons dates back to! Thats kind of fun! I loved looking at your blog and it is always exciting to meet new people especially when we are related!

Cheryl said...

Laura,

I finally got a free moment and read this post. What a guy! He was wise, witty and died for our country. He was a true hero. I am glad he now knows there is life after death. What a blessing the gospel brings.

Thanks for sharing. It makes the headlines of the war each day more real and meanigful. As as he wrote the cost of war is a steep price to pay for freedom!

Laura F said...

Cheryl, you know - I felt the same way! It seems we keep hearing about how expensive the war has been monetarily, and sometimes I become rather disconnected with the real cost.

I'm glad I'm not making the big decisions - I don't have the stomach to face the reprocussions either choice would have. I just hope those who are in that awful situation are seeking the best guidance and that although it may seem almost vulgar to suggest, I hope even in this the Lord will somehow be found in the details.

Amanda said...

Very well said, Laura. Thank you for posting that. I appreciated seeing his picture so that I could put a face with his beautiful words.

This was a good reminder for me that there are many people risking their lives every day for our freedom. I tend to get caught up with my own life that I forget what's going on in the world. I am truly grateful for the sacrifices that are made in our behalf.

As we know, there is life after death, and there is a Heavenly Being who looks after us and wants us to be happy. I believe it's important for those of us who know this to pray for those who don't, especially those who are making the decisions that affect the country. Pray that they will look to God for support in making these decisions.

Thank you for sharing this!