Nativities:
There are so many great nativities out there, how do you choose just one? One of my favorite traditions in Saint Louis was the annual "Creches and Carols" event that took place downtown at one of our LDS church buildings. It was one of the only community events I remember that was put on basically by the Church, and it was phenomenal. Everyone donated nativity sets to display, and there were thousands - sets from different cultures and countries, and many from other materials. I remember one in particular in the form of a quilt someone had made that was amazingly intricate and detailed the entire Christmas story. Anyway, I love nativity sets! The first one posted was given to my by my mother when I was in college and struggling for decorations. I think it's adorable it's really grown on me over the past ten or so years we've been together. Keeping Audrey away from the sheep is a problem, so it goes on the top shelf. The second one was a gift to Justin and I on our wedding day. The couple who gave it to us said they'd also been given a nativity for their wedding, and it was one of their favorite gifts because they thought about it every year during the holidays. That has proven true for us, too, and I've always thought it was beautiful with just the holy family. The third set belonged to my Grandma J, an avid collector of all things Nativity. She had dozens of them, and rotated through her favorites every holiday season. I love that they are all kids, and the little angel reminds me somehow of little Gladys from "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" with the garland swung high over her head. Somebody should make a nativity using the characters from that book. The last nativity was a gift from my mom - I think she said she bought it at the Christmas Craft show held yearly at the Spanish Fork rodeo grounds. I love that it's a large set, but that because it's rather two-dimensional it fits a small space. I had to glue popsicle sticks to the bottoms of most of the characters so they'd stay standing, but I think they're adorable.
Christmas Crafts
The wall hanging I made during college when I should have been studying for finals. But come on, which really lasts longer? ;-) I love that it's big enough to occupy a large part of any empty wall because it really makes a room feel festive in a hurry. The Santa was a project at a Super Saturday I attended with my mom - one of my first in relief society - and I think she has one, too, somewhere. He's looking more ratty every year, but I love him anyway and am rather amazed he's lasted as long as he has! I can't get rid of him until I make another to take his place, I just love the beard.
Other Decor
The painting is by Liz Lemon, and it's from her series on the life of Christ. I never really appreciated the rest of that series, but fell in love with the little boy Jesus in this one and the grandfatherly wise men. Can you imagine what this meeting was like? I adore the personalities expressed by men visiting with a child king, and the expression on the boy's face is so age-appropriate. He reminds me so much of my own kids with his round cheeks and big blue eyes. I got the print one year for christmas, then got it framed another. It's called, aptly, "The Holy Men."
I looked for a long time for an advent calendar because I looked for something very specific. I didn't want something so large you had to fill the pockets with additional treats we definitely don't need this time of year. I wanted something durable, preferably wood, and I wanted something that portrayed the nativity, and not just a general "countdown until we can open presents" because that is usually not as difficult to remember - for me or for the kids. Last year my mom found this one and it's perfect! The boxes are made of wood and each opens to reveal a tiny piece of the nativity story. Since this picture was taken we've opened stars, a few animals, and Mary and Joseph. The pieces are magnetic and you just add them to the scene in the middle. I love it and hope it lasts forever!
I suppose there are other things I should mention. The adorable chimney we got from Heike one year whose santas richochet down and appear in the fireplace at the bottom... The unglazed Santa kneeling at the manger that made its way out tonight during our FHE telling of the Christmas story - I always meant to paint and fire it, and maybe someday I still will... Erick's darling Santa advent calendar he's faithfully adding cotton balls to every day in the hopes of a fluffy beard by Christmas day, and then various candles, garland and stockings. What a fun and festive time of year!
I was working on Christmas cards this afternoon and came across this wonderful quote - I love the visual metaphor of the blanket, because sitting here tonight is peaceful - the kids are in bed, there's a fire in the fireplace, and staring at the Christmas tree (as I am apt to do on these nights) I feel very much under that wonderful spell. It may be over when Audrey wakes up crying in the night (as she's been apt to do lately - teething?), or before I head to bed when I flip on the news, but it's wonderful to know behind the chaos my house was earlier tonight, that Christmas warmth is there. And in some strange way the decorations for me are a part of the magic.
"Christmas - that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance - a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved. ~Augusta E. Rundel"
Oh, and right on cue there's my baby... :-)
1 comment:
I loved seeing more of your things. If you can believe it I have the same Santa from Salem enrichment and it's hanging on my door in my family room. I love him too. It was the first Super Saturday I went to as well.
And that quilt. Oh my! Yes, who needs to worry about finals when you get to cherish and love having that on your wall every year!
So fun to read. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment