Monday, April 18, 2011

Audrey's Birthday!

I have the best kids in the whole world. We have our challenges in life just like everyone else, but I really lucked out in the kids department. I can't believe this one is already five years old! We had oven pancakes and sausage in the morning for breakfast, and true to Swenson tradition we stuck a candle in hers and sang to her first thing in the morning. Dad was gone picking up Daisy (our puppy) already because he left at 4am to make the drive, but he did get to enjoy most of the fun later on. Did I mention I have the greatest husband in the world, too? Anyway, so although it looks as though we're feeding her bread and water on her special day, she actually made off pretty well.  ;-)


After breakfast we cleaned up a little (I know, I'm so mean!) and moved on to presents. Audrey is so animated all the time these days. She's really coming into her own as a ham and an actress but she keeps us smiling. Almost all her presents were "LPS", and in case you're not familiar with the kiddie vernacular that's "Littlest Pet Shop". It's her new thing. I love that they're so innocent compared to many toys for girls these days and I'm all for supporting this stage. She didn't want houses or big things, just the pets. She makes the most adorable shoebox homes for these all over our house. Our livingroom bookshelf has become the LPS condominium and she takes them in the bathtub because they like to swim in the ocean. She's made swimming pools, decks, and links the shoeboxes usually to make bedrooms, kitchens, and whatever else a pet could need. So, without houses and stuff, they're pretty cheap toys! She opened a lot of gifts, and I think we still spent way less than we ever do on birthdays. Thanks Audrey!



Because she didn't take birthday treats to preschool, the next day she took these little bags with treats in them to her primary class. I have to admit, I have been seeing cute treat toppers around and wanted to try my hand at it. Super easy, super fun, and it's just a regular snack bag underneath. I can't wait to find another excuse to make more!


(The easter bunny is Audrey's new WebKinz. Let's say Audrey's, but probably Izzie's since her own account expired in January.)


And here you go. A little of the gift opening. I love the video, but I have to admit probably my favorite part is the part where Matt's with scizzors and tells me that Yes, in fact, he WANTS to sit on the naughty spot. Glad we caught that moment for posterity. :-)




She did get a few other things she loves. She's got her zhu zhu pet puppy with her at preschool today in the little purse and we listened to it bark all the way there. It's pretty cute. :-) She also got some kindergarten prep notebooks from G&G Finlinson, (accompanied by a rainbow set of sharpies I quickly switched out for crayolas! I told her she could have them when she's older. Ha!) We had her "BFF" over to play littlest pet shop in the evening, ate pizza then went out for Maggie Moo's icecream as Audrey's not much of a cake girl. All the girls ordered strawberry icecream with gummy bears, Matt had cake batter with gummy bears, and Erick had dark chocolate with, you guessed it, gummy bears. It totally took me back to the bubblegum icecream phase in my life. We had a fun, laid-back day and I think she enjoyed it. Thanks for everyone who helped make it great!

And for those who remember, here's a little reminder of how far she's come!




We love you, little Moosie. :-)


5 comments:

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

Wow, that took me back too. She certainly looks like her mom did when she was 5 years old. Where does the time go?

I sure love you moosie!

summer said...

I can't believe she is 5! She was the little baby when we were all at school...these kids sure are taking growing up a little too seriously!

and the gift bag toppers - I forgot about those! years ago, I went to friends to help her sister do a batch of gift bags for a thank you gift --- she attached a paper that had a little girl in an inner tube that read 'Thanks! You're a LIFESAVER!' and then the treat bag was filled with gummy life savers - such cute ideas that make these little bags even better!

And...love your little Daisy - she is adorable. Hope the puppy phase is a fun adventure!

Holly said...

Great idea on the bag toppers. I've got to try those!

Kristy Swenson said...

Happy Birthday, Audrey!! We love you!

Swenson Family said...

Sounds like a great day! -Erica