Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's the little things

For whatever reason this year I was SO SO SO ready to get the Christmas stuff put away. I was feeling smothered in red, white and green and everything I thought was so pretty in December instantly felt stale January 1. I think maybe it's that "out with the old, in with the new" feeling. Anyway, but it's all back in its boxes and suddenly I had a bare mantel and walls, so this is what I did the day before Izzie's party. And remember folks, I'm not a decorator and in no life pretend to be, so this is hard for me, but between these little projects, cleaning the house and then decorating for the party I felt had a very productive day.

My mantel with the pictures Shelly took over Thanksgiving. Love them, thanks Sis! I'm also in love with that little snowman. :-)


A wall in the piano room with another such pic. Our first family picture since... well, since... hm. It's been a while.


And did I ever post about Audrey's haircut? We had a little hair mishap about a month ago and have been using a LOT of bows these days because pretty much all she can do is a ponytail. We did get some great bows from Grandma and they're so expensive that I finally made a little bow holder to help keep track of them all. (And to keep them from being used for stuffed pets and dolls, another common way they're lost at our house!) I made this out of a scrap piece of drywall, some felt for padding, scrap fabric and ribbons and staple gun. It works great and took literally fifteen minutes. Tada!


I also got a few more pictures hung in various rooms so little by little I'm feeling more at home. I'm working on a wall collage for the hallway next and a stencil for a wall in the living room. We're also going to be pulling up the dining room carpet sometime soon and maybe someday I'll decide on a paint for in there, but though it's slow and steady it's nice to feel we're making progress!

3 comments:

The Williams Family said...

Laura everything looks so great! I really love your mantel, so cute!

I can't wait to see you in April, the whole trip will be great! Hopefully I won't look too sick in my swimming suit with my pudgy belly! ;)

I am going to Dr. Ludlow and Dr. Warner, in Payson.

Nancy said...

I've lived in my house for 3.5 years and haven't put anything on walls. You've inspired me.

Kristy Swenson said...

your home decor is cute! happy birthday, Izzie!! and about the snow...it's fun to sled in for a little while, but I'm with Matt...I'm not entirely convinced that it's the best thing!! :)