Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Good stock

So, I got this email from my dad this afternoon with regards to Izzie's birthday party dilemma. Or rather, MY birthday party dilemma that wasn't really such a big deal after all to her. :-) Apparently she takes after her aunt Shelly in more ways than that fluffy blond hair.

I was reading your blog about Izzie and had a flash back. It was the story about the missed birthday party because of Sunday beliefs. Maybe you have heard this story but I'll take the liberty to repeat it. Back in about 1994-95 there was a "HUGE" contest in Salt Lake sponsored by KCPX radio. The Rolling Stones were back together and coming to Salt Lake Rice Eckles stadium for a reunion concert. This is the band that was the biggest of the big...Mick Jagger! The contest went on for weeks and the tension mounted. Two front row tickets, limo from your house anywhere along the Wasatch front and dinner for two at a fancy expensive restaurant. Then to make "super" ... "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" ... back stage face time with Mick Jagger HIMSELF!!! The tension mounts... and the day comes. "OK folks called number 100(?) will be our big winner of the Rolling Stones Concert package" biggest most magnificent radio contest ever. Caller #1...you didn't win, thanks for calling. Caller #2,3,4,5,6,...99. Drum Roll...Our next called is caller #100. HELLO YOU ARE THE 100th CALLER !!!!! What is your name. "Shelly Swenson" a little girls voice sounds (on live radio). Congratulations Shelly Swenson YOU have won the Rolling Stones gift of gifts, contests of contests, prizes of prizes !!!!! He then repeats all of the glorious gifts and shouted. You Shelly Swenson along with a friend will be there live Sunday night, Rice Eckles Stadium. Soooooo.....what do you have to say. Shelly says, did you say Sunday? Yes I did...This Sunday at Rice Eckles Stadium...live The Rolling Stones!!! My mom would never let me go on Sunday you better give the tickets to someone else. SILENCE. You can't go on Sunday? No we don't do things like that on Sunday. SILENCE. I can't remember how they gave the ticket package away but our phone started ringing with in about 15 seconds. Ken do you know how much Shelly could have sold those tickets? Couldn't she miss church one week and after all it would be after church, I was questioned. Even my own CPA called and said we would have bought those tickets for $500. Long story short... I'm pretty happy with the way Shelly has turned out with the decisions she's made.

Shelly, Dave must still just die at this story. :-)


4 comments:

Miranda said...

I never heard that one! How old was Shelly? What a testimony to her upbringing. Thanks for sharing.

summer said...

That is one awesome story!!

Shelly said...

Yeah, I was just trying to request a song. I used to love to do that. Anyway, I was pretty shocked when it all happened. I guess I should have/could have made a bunch of cash, but I am not a fast thinker. Also, did you love that my first thought was "my mom would never let me go." I'd forgotten about that whole thing completely until Dad reminded me over the summer.

Dave said...

Testimony to her upbringing?!?! WHAT?! Are you kidding? I think of it as a testimony to her LACK of MUSICAL upbringing! What philistine would have such an abject lack of reverence for deities of rock and roll like the Stones? They should be worshiped, even if it is on the Sabbath! That would have been the Voodoo Lounge tour, and I'd have KILLED to have attended.

At bare minimum, a shrewd businessman like Ken should have been able to pass on some understanding of the inherent value of a prize like that to his daughter!

Oh well. Much as it kills me, I suppose it is a rather amusing anecdote that makes Shelly even a bit more adorable, were that possible. I dare say that she would never make that mistake again. Maybe I've had some impact on her.