Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eckert's

Yes, they're expensive for apples, and yes, I always buy too darn many, but this is still one of my favorite fall activities in Saint Louis. We went with some friends this year, the Vinas, and although there were a lot of fun things to do at the farm from pumpkin canons to pig races, alpacas and goats, camel rides and teacups, giant varigated mountain slides and funnel cakes, the favorite activity was of course picking the apples. A close second was the hay pile.

Erick and Celeste were picked to choose and prep a couple of pumpkins that were then shot out of the pumpkin cannon. They did great, and all the kids were impressed with the distance this cannon achieves!

I love this kid.
The kids loved riding in the wagon behind the tractor tasting their loot. I think those are all golden delicious and jonathons. The apples really are HUGE and are so, so tasty! There's nothing like picking them off the tree, rubbing them a little on your shirt and enjoying them as-is. I'm actually having a hard time wanting to cook them still, they're so good fresh!

Even Matt got in on the fun.


Yes, those are thunderstorm clouds in the background. After we picked our apples we had about an hour and a half before the rain hit us and we headed home. Rain is actually an understatement.

3 comments:

kim said...

How cute is Matt these days!!!!

Melynie said...

What a fun time. Your kids are adorable and I can't believe how fast Matt is growing! Must have something to do with the time difference in between St. Louis and Seattle.

Laura F said...

Kim, if you don't mind my bias he's WAY cute, and would you believe Melynie that he's thinking hard about walking already? He's standing on his own and I'll be if he's not watching the kids a little too carefully these days. How's the apple season in Washington these days?