Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hiatus...

I love professional movers. They showed up at 8am, had the house packed by 11am, and then loaded the truck for the rest of the day while I played hookey at lunch with some friends for my birthday and tended to my kids. It's really a great way to move! I keep thinking I'm really glad this was the only option Nestle gave us for this move, because as tempting as it would have been to take the money and rent a uhaul, this turned out to be a real lifesaver! Justin started work on the 4th of May, so it's been me and the kiddies since then. We take off on the 24th to meet him, and my wonderful in-laws are flying out with us to help with the kids and help us get settled into our new place. Now, if I could just be certain the stuffed elephant and pink monkey made the trip I'd sleep even easier.

Justin seems to really like his new position at Purina. He's working now on the Dog Chow brand, which should really be great experience because like Beneful, they have deep pockets and can do some really fun things. For one of his projects he'll be working on product placement and marketing for their newest theatrical endeavor (think "Marley and Me"). Purina's helping to bring the musical "101 Dalmations" to the states next year, and he's been assigned to that project. It's based on the book, "The one hundred and one Dalmations", not the Disney adaptation, and has been playing for years now overseas. It should be really fun, and I'm hoping for good seats when it hits Saint Louis! He's also really hopping all the time at work between his many projects, meetings and social life (he worked there over the summer and has had fun catching up with a few people from his old team) I think he's been surprised at how tired he is at the end of the day! But it's a good tired, and we're really grateful he found a good job he really enjoys.

We've closed on our house, sold a van and bought a car for each of us, moved our stuff, hooked up utilities and Erick's last day at school is tomorrow, so things are winding down and we're ready to go! I've been listening a lot these days to the soundtrack "Into the Woods", and I find the refrain spinning through my head most of the days. It seems a rather apt description of our journey into the wide world outside Happy Valley, and I really hope should you ever be in our neck of those woods, you'll stop in and visit! There's also the verse in "after the sky" where Jack sings "...and you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in-between, but you know things now and you're different than before... after the Y." Okay, he doesn't say Y, but I'm corny and it fits. We'll miss everyone we love in Utah and wish everyone the best. Make sure to keep in touch!

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a busy time for your family!!
I loved getting details about Justin's job and congrats on closing on the house, selling your van and wrapping up so many lose ends. That is never easy when you are husband less and have lots of help (kids!) that doesn't usually equal movement in a forward direction.

It must feel so crazy to know you really are going to move and get settled long term (for now) in St. Louis. Thank heavens you have lived there before and enjoyed it then. It should make the transition easier. Though I am sure it's killing your mom and dad to see you all go.

I agree 100% about the movers bit. We had help when we moved from Louisville to Lexington since we did it on a weekday and it was only Rich and I to move it all. I will never move without help again.

And I totally love and relate to the Into the Woods bit. I swear, music can just speak to you and it's often so applicable to life.

Life just keeps moving on, but thankfully we have the support of our family (and phones, computers and airplanes) to make it all work when change comes.

Good luck! We'll say a prayer for you on the 24th.

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday. I got an email reminder, so I was thinking of you on your big day, but I never got an email sent. I hope you got to do something fun!!

Amy said...

What a fun job Justin has!

Laura, ask Justin if he's met someone named Guy Fish at Purina. He's in the Missouri River Ward & Michael & his son are good friends. I'm pretty sure he works in Marketing.

And happy belated birthday! I saw it on my calendar, but I was just super sick that day & didn't do anything about it.

Swenson Family said...

Wow! Big changes! To be honest reading about all of the changes happening so quickly for your family almost gave me anxiety. They seem like all good changes, but lots of them all at once. I am still trying to understand that we actually have an income now and then Sam pulls up in his company car this evening. These things are great changes, but a bit overwhelming after living so many years in the starving student category.

CL said...

I was wondering if you'd closed on your house. Hooray for you guys!! In the end, NV Energy hasn't offered us another option besides professional movers and I am glad now too. As nice as money is, this not stressing about packing is pretty sweet too. You post just reaffirmed that. Hope your flight goes well and you enjoy getting settled into your new house!!

sarah said...

What an exciting time for you guys! Wishing you a smooth transistion and lots and lots of happiness. We should meet up at Ted Drewes before we move out West!

Tiffany said...

I am sure you are already in your new house....and loving it!! Have a wonderful summer!