
This morning Matt was up very early, and Justin mentioned the blessing of having a rather down day to look forward to - maybe we'd all even get naps this afternoon, he suggests. Well, of course that didn't happen, but we did have a rather relaxed day. So when he asks later just what I did today here's the list for him and for posterity. It was pretty normal, but I know someday most of these things will be just memories.
- Today I only fixed one meal. We had pizza for dinner and I somehow sashayed through the breakfast hours without realizing they'd passed. No, I don't starve my kids... Justin fixed them oatmeal. It's a favorite at our house, and I love the days he doesn't have class until 9:30!
- Today I did two loads of dishes. Go figure.
- Today I held a baby all day long. He slept some, he cried some, but in my arms or in his Bjorn it was almost all day long. In fact, I'm typing with one hand right now...
- Today I ignored his screams of indignation while I took a quick shower.
- Today I caught up with a friend on the phone.
- Today I read a few blogs.
- Today I went for a short walk with the kids, and showed Izzie how to pull apart the soggy birch seeds lining the concrete. It's like playing with a stress ball, but messier.
- Today I pushed the kids on the mammoth rope swing in our front yard.
- Today I laughed when Izzie's rain boots simulatneously flew off her feet mid-twirl during her turn.
- Today I said "I Love You" multiple times and saw my kids smile.
- Today I watched with eyes half open as Erick wandered around the livingroom during family prayer.
- Today I got a fit of the giggles when Matthew filled his diaper during Erick's blessing over dinner. Thank heavens for personal prayers I can pay attention to.
- Today I was grateful for Izzie and her diligence at potty training her little sister for me.
- Today I was proud of Audrey going potty all on her own and making it 5 out of 6 times.
-Today I changed both a small poopy diaper and a dripping little girl.
- Today I beat Erick and Izzie at minigolf on the Wii while watching Barbie Fairytopia with Audrey and holding Matt. Erick and Izzie got pretty good about halfway through the course, so I won largely on the first three holes. It might not happen again.
- Today I think I got some line worker's broken fake fingernail in a pre-packaged cookie. Why do these things seem to haunt me? (Think... post about the hair...) I can't say with certainty that was it, because the mere possibility made me quickly heave it into the sink and down the drain.
- Today I spent time on hold with Kraft to file a complaint and got a free box of cookies and an apology. Anyone want the freebies? I think I'll personally stick to homemade confections from now on.
- Today I found satisfaction knowing "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes".
- Today I did pigtails and picked out girly girl clothes.
- Today I gave two bouncy piggy-back rides to bed for naps.
- Today I trimmed my valentine roses and changed the water.
- Today I noticed the clumps of brave daffodils pushing up through the dirt in the garden.
- Today I saw the spots the deer have tried to chew on my baby flowering tree. Lousy long-legged rodents.
- Today I cleaned up legos and Mr. Potatohead, multiple times.
- Today I cleaned up spots in the carpet that apparently only I can see.
- Today I lost my temper.
- Today I found the writing on the back of the kids' door.
- Today I learned how to modify my blog template to make it three-columns.
- Today I cursed a crying baby. I admit it.
- Today I kissed a sleeping baby.
- Today I sang a lullaby.
There. It's a pretty good list if I don't think too much about what I didn't do today. Kind of a fun exercise, though (which reminds me of yet another thing I didn't do today). Turns out, with the good, the bad, and the kind of icky, I really enjoyed today.
6 comments:
I love the 3 columns. Nice work!
What a wonderful list. Congratulations on a life-filled day!
Today I'm so proud to have you for a daughter. You should publish this list in a book--or send it out on an email journey so that all mothers could feel good about what they do--when they can't really explain what they do. I love this list.
I loved this post! It's so nice to know other mommies who live real down-and-dirty lives.
Thanks guys, it was a rather nice day!
Yeah! I think we were one of the blogs your read. Great list! You are a mommy!
Post a Comment