Monday, January 21, 2008

New James Christensen


So, do you like it? It's called "The Rich Young Ruler".

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I do like it, but I am a huge James Christensen fan. Is your mom (or you) going to buy it?

I just got my new Hold to the Rod up on the wall yesterday. I love it. Now in my family room I have that, Tales Beneath Timp and The Widow's Mite and on the next wall over have his doctor painting by the computer. Christensen is everywhere and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Amanda said...

It's funny to see what Cheryl wrote, because that's one thing I remember about her house in Salem, all the James Christensen pictures. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think her parents gave me a James Christensen book of his pictures from the Bible. I love it.

I'm not sure about the picture yet. I think I need to do a little research on it before I make up my mind about it.

There's one thing I can say for sure: he truly is an amazing artist.

Laura F said...

Here are my thoughts, sort of.

I'm not a huge fan of the man's face and hands, for some reason they look weird to me. But I LOVE the theme of the story and how he's layed it out on the canvas. I may be reading too much into this, asnd would like to hear your opinions, too, but I love that Christ is standing in the doorway to the outside, and while we can't see out there you know it must be full of opportunities and blessings. The man, however, is caught up with the baubles on his fingers and can't see what the Lord offers. I think it's a lesson in faith it takes to follow, even if it's difficult to understand in the very moment. It seems difficult for that man, but those of us silent observers can see how simple the choice should be.

I just wish he'd used a different model for the face...

Some members of my family have purchased the piece already - for their homes and for investments. According to Frameworks they're only doing this one as a canvas, no prints, and they're making something like 500. I'm still undecided. It's the first parable he's done since The Ten Lepers, I think.

summer said...

I'm glad that you posted the picture here as well, because for some weird reason I could never get it open through the email you sent out to the MBASA group.
I love the picture actually! I don't mind the face and hands...I think that they look very new and modern which to me is what many of the riches of the world are about - the newest, the hippest, the greatest thing that is out RIGHT NOW! I was also struck by how simple the Savior is in the background. I love that the light around him is from the doorway - not so much as from around himself - but to show that his glory sometimes is not as brilliant or as glorious as what we think the worlds glory looks like. Those are just some of my initial thoughts to it --- probably didn't make a lot of sense because I'm tired and sick, but can't sleep!
Overall, if I had the money I would definitely buy it!

Laura F said...

Summer, I'm glad you posted that about the head and hands, because I can see it that way and it helps me like it better. Not that I didn't like the painting, but you know what I mean. Great insights - thank you!