Top Ten Most Played
I had the thought this afternoon that maybe every so often I'd copy a snippet here from that modern marvel, the iPod. Mine is used primarily in the car with kids, and it's obvious by the "Top 25 Most Played" list I discovered the other day. I think memories with music seem to stick, and maybe it will be fun to look back on these songs in the years ahead, so, here's a little peek into our current must-haves in the unedited most-requested order (We don't listen to them in this order... but according to Apple, these frequent our airwaves most):
1. Purple People Eater (Sheb Wooley) - a holdover from Halloween I can't seem to banish. It's requested every time we get in the car and must be played before anything else is allowed. I'm not sure how much longer I can take it. It would be unbearable except that the "monster"s voice elicits rounds of giggles from every child of every age every time it's played. Which, always makes mom smile in turn. :-)
2. Thankfulness Song Medley (VeggieTales) - a holdover from Thanksgiving. Very cute, one of my veggie favorites.
3. He Is (Hilary Weeks)- I LOVE this song and the subtle reference to "I Am". I slid it into my Thanksgiving mix to break up the kid tunes a little. Seems to have worked because it made the #3 spot on the list. I also really like "Unwritten" from the same album.
4. The Little Stuff (Marlo Thomas) - Another great "Gratitude" song. Short and easy to listen to. Erick swears it's his favorite song. Mine too!
5. The Battle Is Not Ours (VeggieTales - again!) - from the story of Esther - rather inspiring, considering they're vegetables.
6. Before He Cheats (Carrie Underwood) - I swear there are no confessions to be made here, it's just an upbeat girl power song I liked until my kids started asking me what it was about... it's moving slowly down the list.
7. The Devil Went Down to Georgia (The Charlie Daniels Band) - And oldie but goodie. The kids love it! I've decided someone needs to remake it soon for a more updated sound and I think Toby Keith would be perfect. One day I'll write that letter.
8. An Attitude of Gratitude (Jimmy Buffett) - Are you detecting a theme? We listened to a lot of "thankful" songs recently for some reason...
9. Busy, Busy (VeggieTales) - From the parable of the Good Samaritan. If you haven't seen a single "VeggieTales" movie, this is a great one to start out with. I think the title is something about "Flibber-o-loo"?
10. Everything (Michael Buble) - That these types of songs are at the bottom of the list helps show how often I'm in the car alone!
Moving up quickly on the list is "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" by the christian band Sixpence None the Richer. Parts of it have a kind of goofy synthesized sound, but still sounds more modern than most christian rock. I like it and love that they sing all three verses to a beautiful song. We usually only get two. Recently dropped from the list was "Girlfriend" by Avril Lavigne for reasons similar to #6. That and I couldn't handle my kids singing it around the house all day! It's a little too catchy... and possibly a little shocking coming from a kindergartener.
I figure if I post this again in June or so we'll get a whole new list, and it's kind of fun to remember. :-)
4 comments:
Rich got a shuffle for his birthday (October) and we have yet to download anything yet. They are amazing little things and one day when I get a free moments I'll have to look up some of your list and get it loaded on ours!
You are so good to listen to kids songs in the car. I do occasionally, but I can only take them for so long. I have a million of them though, from having taught school, but I'll admit my kids love them, and they really do learn a lot from music. In fact, that's what we do for FHE every week. We decide something we are in need of learning about and find a children's hymn to match it. It's amazing how quickly my boys have picked up on the songs, and I think the message is getting across as well.
Amanda, to be honest I'd almost always go for plain old silence in the car... but it seems to be a decision between screaming children and veggietales most days. What a great idea to do the children's songs for FHE! I think you're right about there being a real power in music.
I love reading your cute blog. I have been seasonally busy and find it hard to comment as of late. I found myself trying to click on the music titles to play the songs. Don't we live in such an age of convenience? (I guess I will have to search the internet to hear them.) I prefer silence as well, except these days I enjoy the Christmas station. I suppose I do put on our primary program CD (you know the one that's been in the car since October) whenever Ella decides that she needs to get her 400 words out while we are in the car.
Post a Comment