My kids right now are so willing to give and share with what they have. I wish I were more like that and want them to always be that way. They are so sweet and concerned about others. Izzie loves giving her clothes to her little sister, and Erick gave away his favorite Tonka Firetruck this year when we were cleaning out toys. They share so nicely with their friends, and I honestly wish I could take some credit for that. I'm a total packrat, just certain we're going to need everything again sometime. Justin throws things out when I'm not looking, though, so to avoid things just being trashed I'm looking for ways to put the useful items...well, to good use.
There is definitely no shortage of opportunity for me to give this holiday season - coats, toys, various service projects and cash donations are in high demand everywhere. Well, every year I get really excited about it all and sign up for everything, then mid-holiday I discover I can't keep up that pace, as much as I'd love to, and start saying no. Then by the end of the season I've done about half of what I intended. We just took coats to Burlington that we've been talking about donating for two years already! I also realized today we won't be doing the 12 days for Christmas this year because it snuck right up on me and I just am not sure I can put it together to start tonight.
That said, I wanted to post a website for a really neat organization. The site is http://www.globalgiving.org/ . You can browse prescreened grassroots organizations and read about what they're doing out there to make a difference. I know Black & Decker used to company match charitable giving, and right now each donation is being matched already, so I'm thinking you could really get some bang for your buck if you're in a situation to do both. Kind of cool, I think.
Another great (legitimate) site for giving is http://www.americasupportsyou.mil/AmericaSupportsYou/index.aspx . It's a site where you can donate to one of almost 300 different legitimate organizations dedicated to supporting our armed forces and their families.
I read an article the other day on charity fraud that has me all annoyed with over-the-phone donations, though. Especially those that supposedly go to police and fire departments. If you have ever gotten those phone calls, and even more if you've donated, you should read this: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22116830/ .
So here we go again. Now if I could just "donate" that extra pan of fudge in the kitchen... why I ever thought it was a good idea to double the batch is beyond me now - anyone know a charity for that? :-)
2 comments:
Way to go for finding so many ways to serve. Even if you only do half the things you said you planned, you have done more than the rest of us. I loved that you gave sites and information on each. I'll have to check them out.
It proves that children learn from example and your three have been watching their mom and this is why Erick could give away his favorite fire truck without tears, because he learned it from you.
Great post!
This is just wonderful! It's really important for me to do things like this at Christmas (well all year, but especially at Christmas). It was tradition as I was a child and I want to pass it along to my Ty and his future brothers and sisters. THanks for the good ideas and the good example!
Post a Comment