Chug chug chugging along...
Finally, it's Santa Claus!!!
Then the fun really began, as Santa told the kids the story of the candy cane and about how Jesus is the real reason we celebrate. It was especially neat coming from that kind of authoritative figure. :-) They each got a candy cane, then we sung some Christmas songs with Santa's bells! After that it was time to go - the train picked us up again and we took a slightly longer ride back "home", passing along the way all the major figures in the Nativity story, then pictures of the life of Christ through his resurrection. All in all, it was a wonderful experience, and I love that someone does this. Again, it's totally free - they keep a donation box out for Primary Children's should anyone feel inclined to give, but this is entirely done at their own time and expense. If you're in the area next year, this was really fun!
Jingle those bells!
Izzie made a rather comatose Rudolph...
Off we go, home again!
From there we went straight to Aunt Tamra's house where we basked again in the glow of someone willing to serve and give. Tamra holds a "wrapping party" every year for the crisis center here in Provo. Everyone donates something from the list she sends out or money to help offset the costs (and she obviously supplements this some) and we all get together to assemble packages - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, etc. It amazes me every year how much can be accomplished when people work together. I wish I'd gotten pictures during the assembly, but all I got were a few parts of the final product. There were also stacks of clothing items. After the packing was completed, we enjoyed a yummy dinner and great company until the kids were begging for bed. (yes, my kids actually do that) ..
Bath towels, shower curtains and toiletries
Kitchen utensils and dish racks
Anyone know what happened to that extra ribbon?
I'm amazed at how much this holiday season has turned into a season of giving. Here we are, relatively speaking we're poorer than we've been in years because we're back to school, and yet it seems we've had more opportunity to serve (largely thanks to others) and be surrounded by service than we've had in years. It's been such a blessing and has made the holiday delicious and wonderful. It seems as though I seek this feeling every year, and sometimes it comes, and sometimes it just never does no matter what we try. For me it's a rare feeling and I am so grateful.
2 comments:
This was so fun wasn't it? I totally wanted to go faster, but the conductor wouldn't let us because it would scare the little kids, too bad! ;)
It's great to see the pictures from the day! I love what your aunt spearheads and then everyone helping out - what a fantastic and huge way to bless the lives of others...I may need to talk with her one day to get some ideas and ways that she makes that successful and efficient.
Post a Comment