I've been reading up on this a little, and have found that's not so unusual a thing to do. In fact, there are books that address just how to go about doing this - who knew? If anyone reading this post has done it and has words of wisdom I'm open to them. I think what we'll do is meet once a week for the next little while to discuss our thoughts and ideas for what should be included and how it should be worded. Then, over the course of that week we'll each have time to pray about what's been written, and think about what may have been forgotten or included erroneously. I'm sure the document could be hundreds of pages long, but I really want to take the counsel to heart to prioritize. I hope to take stock of our collective and individual weaknesses, areas we need to be especially vigilant, family traditions and ultimate goals, and make this something we as a family can read and memorize. It's a tall order, so we'll see how it goes.
This week's assignment is to just think of groups of words we want to describe our family this year, ten years from now, 50 years from now, and after Justin and I are no longer around.
My dad made an interesting related comment in our family newsletter about how often we are compared to family members and dear friends using the words "You remind me so much of..." He asked what quality it is that's recognized - is it for our faith? our sense of humor? our determination? or is it for some kind vice or fault? what kind of legacy will we leave our children and others we come into contact with, and what will be we known for? I hope someday someone will say to my kids "You remind me so much of your mother... she had such a testimony of (insert anything from Sister Beck's recent conference talks here)
No comments:
Post a Comment