We have Family Home Evening on Tuesdays around here, because that's just how we roll. And because piano lessons otherwise occupy our Monday nights and I have refused thus far to lose a weekday FHE to Sundays. Sundays the kids are already mine, but I crave that additional day, don't you agree?
Anyway.
I won't blog every single family night activity, but this one was special.
Matt's been asking to go to the temple, so as soon as Justin walked in the door (he's such a good sport!) we packed up the kids and Little Caesars and had a loverly evening on the temple lawn. I was actually more than a little impressed at how good they were, and how interested in the temple. We pointed out symbolism on the temple, talked about what is required to get a recommend and talked about the temple ordinances. It was fun to point out which rooms were lit, as well. That's the Celestial room behind Izzie's head.
It was a warm beautiful March night, post daylight savings time and the temple was closed for cleaning - hence the heavy equipment in the background - so I think we picked a winner. It was fun because I felt fine walking right up to the front doors and allowing the kids to peer inside knowing there would be nobody at the front desk and the doors would not be sliding open. Seriously, it's a little thing but it was great. It reminded me a little of peering through the windows of a home being built when you know the owners are away. You've done that before, right? Except this is the ultimate house.
The evening also provided opportunity to do something I've been looking forward to for a while now. A few months ago, my good friend Julie Jolly brought me four pieces of opaque white glass from the St. Louis temple windows and I gave one to each child with an invitation (okay, maybe sort of a plea) to stay clean and to look forward to attending the temple when they're 12. I bore testimony of the Spirit in the temple and the peace and inspiration we can receive there. They loved it, were super excited about their souvenirs and I hope had a sweet taste of the nature of that special place.
We are so blessed to live near the temple, and I think the evening was a rousing success. I don't think, however, they have any idea how badly I want them to take these things to heart. To come to the temple and be blessed. And like so often in this parenting adventure am reminded once again of our Heavenly Father's love and just how much He must feel the same.
After we returned home Izzie found me and with tears in her eyes told me she thought Erick had ruined the experience for her by singing his current favorite pop songs in the car on the way home. Lousy older tween brothers. (I didn't say it, but I suspect he's getting his ducks in a row for that awesomely annoying deacon phase and that he'll come out of it eventually. I don't know how long that takes though, and didn't want to get her hopes up just yet.) I was touched at her sincerity and her desire to feel the Spirit and promised her we'd return again soon, maybe just me and her. So sweet. How did I get so lucky?
1 comment:
I'm so glad to see you blogging again! You were one of my first friend-bloggers, so it's nice to read your thoughts once again!
Post a Comment