I stewed and thought about it all week - what would we say and how would I break it to her? Would we hold family council? Bring everyone in for moral support? I asked friends, I told Justin. This was the big one in my mind, the first one, and maybe the one that would set precedence for all other Sunday conflicts. Seriously, for this Utah girl it was huge. I admit, I was praying about it, but never expected the conversation to go like this today when I casually brought it up clearing dinner dishes:
me: Izzie, do you remember talking the other day about Sunny's party?
Izzie: Yes.
me: Did you hear what day it is?
Izzie: Yes. July 30th. (huh?)
me: No, I mean what day of the week it is?
Izzie: N-n-n-n-no.
me: It's on Sunday.
Izzie (horrified): Well then, we can't GO, can we?
Suddenly, before I could say anything else, I was being lectured by my five year old about how of COURSE we can't go because it's on Sunday, and that's the day we go to church, and no biggie because they sort of celebrated at school and we'll just have a playdate with her next week instead. She was totally matter-of-fact and completely unfazed. And then that was it. I don't think she's given it another thought. I can only hope now this one experience can be indicative of this girls' moral compass, because I obviously don't give her enough credit.
5 comments:
Way to go Izzie! Children really do surprise us in the best of ways at times, don't they? Bless her heart for being so valiant in what she knows.
What a good girl! I know how you feel-- I think it was easier for me to do the right thing when I was a kid and never worried about the complexities of any issue. I just did what I had been told was right.
Izzie, I'm SO proud of you. I love you so much and miss you TONS!!
Amy, you're so right, and it's made me think about a lot of things in my life. It's like that quote "Well, it's true, isn't it?" I really need to be more black and white about some things, because too often the gray area sneaks in on us but doesn't really need to be there.
They're amazing little creatures, aren't they?
Post a Comment