Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ups and Downs

Have you ever noticed your life feeling like a roller coaster? Here are some of our ups and downs from the past couple of days.

Up - Izzie lost her first tooth.
Down - Izzie swallowed her first tooth.
Up - the tooth fairy came anyway, albeit a few days late.
Down - Matt's getting his first tooth. Ouch!
Up - I finally found a clock for the living room.
Down - I missed the kindergarten bus. Again.
Up - The school hasn't put me on probation.
Down - My husband has.
Up - My sister was here visiting last week!
Down - She's gone now. :-(
Up - They're hopefully going to be back at Thanksgiving!
Down - All the kids (mine and hers) got the same fever this week.
Up - It's a 12-hour thing for my kids so far.
Down - The backyard is covered with mud. And grass seed.
Up - Grass seed attracts all kinds of fun birds and wildlife to the yard.
Down - They're eating all the seed we spread. :-P
Up - Our sewer line is working again!
Down - The sellers refused their certified mail last week.
Up - Our attorney is pretty darn certain they'll still have to pay for the sewer repairs.
Down - Legal processes in the meantime are REALLY slow.
Up - There are great seats at the Fox with our names on them (courtesy of our real estate agency).
Down - Okay, there's no downside to that one.
Up - I can do laundry again.
Down - We have a lot of laundry!
Up - We love our insurance company/agency here.
Down - I'm really ticked off at our agent in Utah and will be changing shortly. Same company - go figure.
Up - Being reimbursed for duplicate housing
Down - Student Loans
Up - Love the stow and go and mp3 player in my car.
Down - The air conditioning in the back is acting up.
Up - We're making tutus this weekend!
Down - I'm going crazy. I had to ask Audrey if Matt was in his carseat today as we drove down the road. I couldn't remember strapping him in and panicked.
Up - I finally bought new folders to update my file drawers.
Down - I'm finding mail around that house that should have been opened long before now but were temporarily "filed" poorly.
Up - I was motivated to fix dinner last night from a new recipe
Down - It wasn't that good. Smoked sausages are really just glorified hot dogs.
Up - I felt no remorse throwing out the leftovers
Down - The disposal exploded, drenching everything under the sink with something that resembled hot dog vomit.
Up - At least it didn't ruin my appetite for something I actually liked.
Down - The kitchen still stinks.
Up - My kids have been sleeping better.
Down - I'm an insomniac now.
Up - I finally finished painting the doors and trim in the house
Down - Audrey's autographed most of the walls in our home.
Up - I guess that will help motivate me to more painting.
Down - More painting.
Up - Erick had a friend over the other day
Down - 7 year old boys are kind of obnoxious
Up - Audrey told me I was her best friend.
Down - She told me later the same day she didn't like me.
Up - Izzie still likes me, even though she spent time reading books with the principal today.
Down - Justin's unexpectedly travelling this evening.
Up - No pressure to clean up the hot dog smell, and we're eating out!

I'm still getting over missing Izzie again. I think of everything on that list that's traumatized me by far the most. The school office staff hates me, I know it. Man, I tell you. Four kids and running a house is really kicking my butt these days! So there you go - keeping it real at our house. Since I know I'm not the only one who ever stresses out about things, what do you do to de-stress? My favorite approach is actually to just wait until whatever's stressing me out just goes away, but I'm thinking these days about adopting a new approach. Maybe yours will be the winner!

8 comments:

Melynie said...

My, my, my you've been busy! But it sounds like the stuff of life. Your efforts are right where they should be, and you're one of the most capable people I know. Go Laura!!

PS: If you find that secret for handling it all, let me know!

S.K. said...

I have no good de-stressing advice. I do know that the one thing that keeps me on time to pick Paige up from school is the alarm on my watch. I have it set for about 10 minutes before I have to leave the house, just to give me enough time to get out the door, yet also not so much time that I forget. I could seriously forget again within 15 minutes. Anyway, good luck!!!

Zachary said...

I've taken up golf again. Your husband and I spent many, many hours on the greens, de-stressing.

PS - I love the Up/Down format! Very creative.

kim said...

You've had a lot going on--I think the first few months in a new city/new job/new house/new routine are just crazy. You're doing great. My only destress trick, besides going on a vacation by myself (that works wonders!!!!), is to try to step back and see the big picture, and then all that matters to me is that I get in some good laughs and snuggles with my kids and the rest can just wait.

Amy said...

LOVE this post! I know how you feel about the bus. it's my greatest fear-- that I'll miss the bus. But not having a car has made that pretty impossible. So far. And having the bus stop 2 houses down doesn't hurt.

summer said...

great post...love the format, I might have to steal the idea from you. as for de-stressing....I'm looking for the magic cure as well....let's go look for it together in Hawaii! :)

Emily said...

The cure? One word, girlfriend...

CHOCOLATE!!!

If that's too simple for you, may I suggest Ben & Jerry's Super Fudge Chunk?

Kate Nelson said...

Laura,
I feel like I am reading excerpts from my own life - only with different chaos. For the last 11 or so months, my life has felt pretty out of control. How do I de-stress? I read everyone else's blogs (however, sometimes this actually adds to the stress when it appears that everyone else has it all together - lucky most of my friends 'keep it real'.) Let's see, I went to TOFW, listen to 'happy music', take a shower, read books that I bought at TOFW, go on walks and talk to my sisters, and well ... chocolate (without much guilt because these days I need the extra calories for the baby, right?) Most of the time, I still feel pretty crazy, but that keeps me surviving I suppose. Best of luck!!!