They painted over the concrete shower floor with a permeable flat paint. We realized it when the mildew started climbing the walls and are grinding the paint off and redoing it now. But at least we'll know it's done right, AND I can pick any color I like.
They also painted over the old wallpaper glue, leaving crackly spots in the paint behind that need to be sanded and redone. But hey, we were repainting anyway, so at least now it's all new, right? And hey, they did take down the wallpaper, which is a step in the right direction I guess.
We figured all the light bulbs would burn out within our first month in the place. For some reason that always happens. But now we know they're all new!
We were a little disappointed they cut the power line from the ceiling fan to the plug on the floor because apparently it was too hard to paint around it. Disappointed, but once again, not surprised. Justin's dad spliced the wires together beautifully and it's good as new.
We did replace the water heater after two weeks of living in the home. Just one of those things, I guess, and of course it wasn't covered by that fancy home warranty we purchased. But hey, we have a new one now, right?
And we had to have the crack in the basement wall re-filled after it leaked the first time it rained. I dunno, but they shot it up again with epoxy and it seems to be fine now. And then just when we thought the basement would stay dry for a while...
The sewer line backed up into the house.
It's an old house and we assumed at first it could be tree roots. Or maybe a clogged vent. Justin spent a day with a snake first. The next day we called a plumber. He informed us the lateral line was bad and that we'd need to have Ballwin out to inspect and help replace it. I took the kids down to the city offices to get the work order signed, and there I was informed we were already on record and scheduled for the service to be done. The previous owners had submitted the paperwork for the faulty sewer system DAYS before we closed on the house. They KNEW. We think it's kind of funny this kind of a deal slipped their minds.
Surprise!!!!
So, here we are two weeks without water, four holes in the neighbors' yard and three plumbers who are practically family now and hey, at least it's all new, right?
I'll include a few pics in the following post for your viewing enjoyment. And yes, we're hoping some of these costs will be reimbursed by the seller - we've called a foul on their honesty and have a clear breach of contract with them. Or maybe they just forgot the sewer was broken when they filled out the sellers' disclosures?
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, Laura. I don't even know what to say!!! That is so terrible! I say, give them an earful. And get them to pay for everything.
In other news, I miss you. Anderson is wearing the outfit you gave him, and i think of you every time he does. And I thought of you when I used the food processor to make chilled strawberry soup. You're so good to me. :) I just need to call you so we can chat.
Melyine, I'd like to give them an earful, but I'll have to hope that's what the attorney will do for me. Ugh. Anyway, at least it's fixed now! I've never been so excited to do laundry before!
I miss you too! I'm still sad you're no longer here. I'm glad Anderson is into that outfit now... that's why I buy them big. Just to get those residual thoughts years later. ;-) Just kidding. I can't believe it already fits. I need to call you, too. I bet you're enjoying the break in the heat these days!
Holy cow! I'm glad you have an attorney to give them a piece of your mind for you!
Benjamin's been wearing the outfit you gave him, too, all summer. SO cute. By far one of my favorites. Especially because most of the rest are stained hand-me-downs from Michael:0)
Sewers. They're the best.
We had to dig up our entire driveway and front yard to replace the line when we lived in AZ. Good times.
Hang in there.
That's it... I think I may be renting for the rest of my life. That is insane! Absolutely INSANE!... and dishonest. Were all of those holes in the neighbors' yards?
Jenni, I'm absolutely pained to hear about you having to do your entire driveway and everything. Seriously, I know it's late and all, but that's terrible!
Erica, EVERY hole was in our saintly neighbor's yard, in fact. For some reason our sewer line goes through their back yard on an easement for a measly 190 yards. It was really a nightmare job for the crew, and I was impressed our neighbors still seem to like us. Guess we'll see this spring how well we can get the yard back together for them!
Post a Comment