Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Breakfast made a little easier

Okay, everyone I know is posting recipes these days, and so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and post one of our own family masterpieces. Okay, so the term "masterpiece" may be subject to interpretation. It's not a fancy dish, but I think for the way this mix has made our mornings just a little simpler it deserves the title anyway!

Raisin Oatmeal Mix:

6 cups old-fashioned oats (quick would work, too)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apples or bananas (optional)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Store in an airtight container for a month,
makes 14 one-half cup servings.

Just add oatmeal mix and water to cover the oats and stir. You get the amounts down with practice. I think the recipe calls for 3/4 cup of water for each 1/2 cup of mix, though, if you're that type of chef. Microwave it for about 45 seconds - watch for it to kind of bubble up for a little bit and it will be done. I sometimes add milk after it's been microwaved just to thin it down if needed. The kids also use icecubes. Make sure you give it a stir or you'll get a lot of the flavors gravitating to the bottom.

And for another little plug, I love the container we found for it (ikea) because it has a flip-top pour, so it's enough like cold cereal that with a little water and the 30-second button on the microwave my kids can pretty much make their own breakfasts these days! I'm all about those kinds of things. Try it out!

1 comment:

Melynie said...

Thanks for the tip! I look forward to trying it out!