Thursday, April 02, 2009

Fool me once...

Happy day after April Fool's Day! I'm not usually really into this holiday, but my kids are just the right age now for some fun, innocent but appreciated pranks and we really made a day of it with a few little funnies. We had lunch for breakfast - macaroni and cheese with peaches and broccoli. They thought that was silly, but really lost it when they realized I'd served that with glasses of "fruit punch" I'd made the night before with red jell-o and straws! They all fell for it, so it was completely worth the 5 minutes before bed it took. :-)  Erick wore his shirt backwards to school, and the girls and I got dressed into men's (or boys') dress shirts and ties for the day. Erick also took a few homemade nametags to school to share, like "I love Homework". The girls entertained themselves with knock knock jokes and spent hours staring out the front window at the quarter glued to the sidewalk outside, just waiting for unsuspecting passers-by to attempt removal. Honestly, I think the glue is probably stronger than our concrete, so it might be there for quite a while still! All in all it was a rather silly day, and it made me think I'll need to do a little more planning for next year because it was such fun with my littles! It really re-affirmed my suspicions about holidays, though. They really ARE more fun when surrounded by kids. :-)

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, I'm loving that drink idea. Hilarious.

Now, if my kids would just eat jell-o....

Elder and Sister Swenson said...

It's true about holidays being more fun with children, but the truth is that holidays are what you make them. This from someone who didn't even realize it WAS April Fools Day! I need to get with this holiday thing!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Yes, I enjoy holidays way more when I focus on the kids' fun. The jello drink idea is awesome. I hardly ever make jello, so when I do it's a big treat.

Amy said...

LOVE it. I was wishing I'd done more for the day. It's a just a fun, silly holiday with no huge expectations attached to it.

sarah said...

I'm going to have to try your Jello trick!