Thursday, May 08, 2008

I need a new post...

Hey all, sorry to have left that last post up for so long. You see, although we've been busy lately, all I really want to do is be a bump on a log on my couch and have taken very few photos. I've been lucky so far in that I haven't been very sick, but I am SO tired. So, since I've had a little time for random thoughts, I'll just post a few of those. Someday I'm going to catch up on my TTA posts, but not today.

With three weeks left before the kids and I move for our internship, and 6 days before Justin leaves, and 38 days before the family renting our home is living here, I've become what I always am under stress - a compulsive list maker. If I actually worked half as hard at getting things off those lists as I do thinking of things I might forget to add, I'd be in good shape. My current to-do list has 35 things on it that have to be done before we leave. I also have shopping lists, things to send with Justin lists, things to take on the plane lists and items to purchase in Saint Louis lists. Before I sound insanely busy (which I am not), as opposed to just insane (which I am), the to-do list includes replacing the kids' toothbrushes and taking birthday treats to Erick's teacher tomorrow, a whole bunch of phone calls and packing some random items I don't want to forget to send with Justin. Now, there are important things there, as well, like taking care of insurance and paying bills, packing the kids and putting away the winter clothes, but the length of the list itself stresses me out enough to keep me on my toes, no matter what it's filled with. I could have listed blowing bubbles and making cookies and still been stressed... it's all about length. I need a Covey A-B-C method to prioritize, probably.

Back to being tired... have any of you during pregnancies struggled with "Am I tired, or am I just lazy?" While I've been making lists and phone calls and taking naps when I can get away with it, my worker-bee husband has been digging trenches in our lawn repairing the sprinkler system, making trips to the grocery store and even doing some laundry between jogging twice a day! Talk about a stark contrast! I'm so proud of him for getting so much done, and am going to miss him terribly the three weeks we're apart! But I admit, I'll feel less guilty about the afternoon naps...

We introduced the kids again to artichokes for dinner the other night. I have to say "again" because every time we have them it's new all over again for someone. This time apparently neither of my older kids remembered them at all, and when I put them on the table Izzie's eyes got as big as saucers as she squealed with delight "Wow! Ginormous Broccolis!" She lost interest quickly after we explained the veggie, but I was proud of Erick for sticking with me to the end. He even ate the leaves plain, because he preferred it to the butter. I wish I could do that! Anyway, I love them, but can't typically justify the cost or the calories (butter), so we'll give it another little bit and it will be fun all over again!

So, I knew it would happen at some point in my kids' years of education, but I thought we'd make it though kindergarten because we were getting so close. However, today we forgot to pick up Erick after school. I say "we" because I feel guilty, even though I was at well-checks with Audrey. Justin has been riding with him to school and home again, and because he's been at school himself all year until now and is not so used to the schedule poor Erick sat around wondering where his parents were today. I think it really shook him up - I mean, I think we were almost a half hour late! Actually, it probably shook them both up a little. :-) Thirty minutes is practically an eternity for a 5-year-old, but at least we have that milestone out of the way and have talked now about what to do should it (heaven forbid!) happen again sometime.

Finally, I read the book "Sarah" by Orson Scott Card last weekend and L-O-V-E-D it! If you haven't picked it up yet, it's an interesting, entertaining and uplifting read. I plan to read the next two in the series over the summer, of course titled Rebecca and Rachel, respectively.

I guess that's it for now, and it's late... so of course I'm headed to bed. Other than the occasional sleepwalker (Erick) or midnight roamer (Audrey), I am SO glad my kids sleep well!

10 comments:

Jenni said...

Rebecca was actually my favorite in the series. But we're big Scott Card fans here....haven't met a book of his yet that I didn't like.

You'll have to let me know what you think of the rest in the series.

Kelli said...

Were you the one telling me about your awesome umbrella stroller? If not, you can ignore this message, if so, will you give me more info about it? We're going to Disney World in a couple weeks and I need a new stroller if I'm going to survive!!

Holly said...

My aunt gave us some artichokes, but we never ate them because I have no idea how to cook or eat them. I love artichokes but have always gotten them out of a can before.

kim said...

I think you have every right to be tired. If you made a list of what you are really doing right now: growing another person piece by piece, you actually are accomplishing quite a bit too :)

Laura F said...

Jenni, have you read "Saints"? I keep meaning to, but would love to know what you thought of it.

Kelli, I commented on your blog about our stroller, and yes, I love it!

Holly - so simple - cut the tips off the leaves and a little from the stem, then place them leaf-side down in a little water and steam them for what, 20 minutes? until they're soft. Then you peel the leaves off one at a time, dip them in butter, and nibble the ends. The closer you get to the heart the more of each leaf is tender and edible. When you do get to the heart you scoop the "choke" out, the middle of the flower, and divvy up the heart. They're so yummy!

And Kim... yeah, that. :-) I tell myself the same thing... too bad I can't just check each thing off my list that is accomplished there every day! Wouldn't that be funny? Arms... check. Intestine... check. Toenails... check!

Kate Nelson said...

I am such a list-maker as well. Laura, once you commented on my blog that we are so much alike and I think you are right. Except with me, I make a list because I am feeling overwhelmed and once the list is make, I feel even more overwhelmed - usually a reality check that I am too ambitious but for whatever reason, I am too stubborn to shorten my never-ending lists.

I can't believe you are coming back so soon. I love that we have been able to keep tabs with our blogs because it feels like you just went on a really long vacation. (Although, I probably know more about your life thatn visa-versa because I'm not great about posting nearly as often.) Aren't you going to be living closer to downtown? When will you be coming out this way to visit?

Jenni said...

Yup, I've read Saints. It has been a few years...like 8, I think...but I loved it at the time. I'd like to back and read it again. I know a lot of people who take issue with it, but I absolutely loved it.

Another book of his that I love is called Enchantment.

Mandy said...

Don't feel guilty. At least you have the excuse, opposed to me. :)

Rachel and Leah (the third book) was such a huge story that he ended it and is working on part two of that story. But the name of it has slipped my mind...due out next year I think.

summer said...

so fun to have a new post to catch up on your life with! As if the phone calls haven't been fun as well...but there is something so great about a new post when I go onto a blog site!

So, here is something to try with your artichokes. This is how they serve the in France - or at least all the places I ate - but to dip them in either just plain balsamic vinegar (BV) or a mixture to your liking of BV, olive oil, parmesan cheese and ground pepper. I LOVE artichokes...the lady that I was a nanny for just laughed at me the first time we sat down to dinner and they served one, I guess my reaction warranted the story told anytime we had guests over each time after that! Yummmy, yummy...I'll need to keep my eyes out for some good deals on those this summer.
ps...I completely hear you and relate to the list experience. Sometimes I just like making TO DONE lists, so that things feel a little more done...try it, you'll love it!

Swenson Family said...

Good luck with everything. And like we talked about on the phone the other day, I always struggled with the lazy vs tired thing for all of my pregnancies. And then after the baby was born I would feel different and think, "well of course I was tired instead of lazy, I had this amazing individual growing in my tummy that started out as a speck". Then after a few weeks sleep deprivation settles in and well, I'm tired all over again.