Friday, March 28, 2008

Miracles...

Everyone seems to have their own theory for just what warrants a miracle. I remember that in Paraguay the first week or so in December was nuts. December 7th was the day celebrating the Virgin of Ca'acupe, and the story goes that pilgrims who walk to Ca'acupe, after the fashion of Mary travelling to Bethlehem, would then be granted a miracle upon arriving at the cathedral. Hoardes of people would walk hundreds of miles, often barefoot, down the dirt roads and highways, sometimes even with their kids! There were fatalities every year, and I admit it, although I thought it was a little extreme, they really worked for those miracles.



Vilnius, Lithuania's Cathedral Square (the area surrounding the cathedral itself) hosts a solitary paving stone that is different from all the others. On it is the word “stebuklas”, the Lithuanian word for “miracle”. Local legend says that you must search for the miracle stone yourself - no one can reveal the exact location to you or what happens next will not work. When you find the stone, you can make a wish while turning 360 degrees clockwise. I think the idea of searching the square for that one stone is rather romantic, honestly. The turning around could be symbolic somehow, but it doesn't seem quite as meaningful as the work put in to searching.


Anyway, yesterday in the car Erick asks me, hypothetically of course, "Mom, what if you pray for miracles and, just, they just don't happen?"

I'm thinking instantly that although he's phrased this as a hypothetical question this is going to be one long, serious conversation I wasn't sure I was up to, so I cut to the chase and asked him first "Why, honey? What were you praying for?"

"Well," (continuing hypothetically) "like what if you prayed at night that your room would be cleaned, and then in the morning if it wasn't?"

:-)

Yes, it was seriously hilarious, although I tried my best to keep it in. You really have to know this child... he is such a doddler - it took him almost four hours the other day to pick up his legos from the front room, and it finally happened with weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. I wish I could say I don't know where that tendency comes from, but I know all too well. If I thought I could pray the dishes done or the bulbs planted I might certainly give it a try! But kudos for the child's faith and creativity in taking this problem to the Lord!

Anyway, then something interesting happened. In the ensuing conversation, which of course centered around faith AND trying our very best, I told him some amazing and wonderful miracles that have happened in my life and in the lives of those I love. Incredible stories like walking on broken legs, driving motorcycles safely with severe concussions and smaller things like finding lost keys just in the knick of time. We talked about miracles in the scriptures and how wonderful they were. It was a fun experience to share these things, and each instance I was careful to emphasize personal preparation, and that the person had done everything in his or her power that needed to be done, that the Lord had seen the dire need and somehow made up the difference. I assured my kids that our Heavenly Father is always aware of our needs, and though sometimes he allows us to sort things out ourselves to help us grow, in the most critical moments of our lives, deemed critical to Him, he steps in to help us do what we can't do ourselves. I admit it, I felt like this great parent teaching them the ins and outs of what could be deemed the miraculous "process".

As we were discussing this, however, another miracle I had been blind to before came to my mind, and the truth of it to my heart all at once. That it is literally a miracle there are so many inexperienced, imperfect people who have raised or are raising righteous and faithful children. But when I thought about it, that miracle fit my little equation perfectly. As parents I know we all try our very best, doing everything we feel we can do within our power to teach and love these sweet little spirits. I know I stress over a million things, from trying to feed them healthy foods to family home evening and scripture study as Justin and I try to build up their strength for the day they'll leave our sides and need it. I try to keep them safe and stay up to date on immunizations. I help them with their homework and worry if they're making friends at school. And lest I sound like a single parent, while Justin does many of those things and others unique to him and their relationship, I can only speak honestly for my own insecurities.


Because ultimately I know everything I can do will only go so far, and that even with all those good intentions I manage to screw things up. I see them developing my bad habits, I see the power of the "dark side" (we're really into star wars these days) and I'm sure even with the things I see, something will blindside me. But at the most critical times in my life and theirs, when everything I can do isn't enough, or worse, when I can't do anything, it's comforting to know somehow the Lord has the ability to step in and make up the difference. I've heard parents tell that story time after time, but for some reason it didn't hit home until that moment. It is a miracle, and at least in my life, it may be the greatest miracle of all, and one I feel completely justified in praying for daily. And there are days the path to the miracle I'm hoping for feels a little like walking that dirt road to Ca'acupe.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

The Atonement is miraculous. Not only can it correct mistakes we make in our own lives but the ramifications of the mistakes we make in the lives of our children.

It is no small comfort.