Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hello again to an old friend...

So, Justin's in Saint Louis today interviewing for a summer internship with Nestle, and because they flew him out last night he ran out to O'Fallon to check on the old place. Apparently the house looks just the same (at least in the dark), and he was curious enough he actually parked the car down the street a little and walked around through the common ground to peek around at the backyard. He said it was strange being there, looking at his house but knowing it wasn't his. I think that's especially true because we built that house, and it was also the first home we owned, so a lot of what we are is still there! Partly because of the crazy tornado seasons in Missouri, I had stenciled "Home is a shelter from all sorts of storms" on the wall above the french doors in the kitchen, and I still think about that and the deeper meanings I came to associate with the line. It was a great home.

Anyway, it's nice to know the new owners are taking care of it because he said they hadn't changed anything outside, and it all looked pretty well maintained. They even used the garden plot this summer and fenced it for rabbits (something we certainly needed!).

3 comments:

Kate Nelson said...

I sure hope he get's the internship. Does that mean everyone will come back for the summer or just Justin?

Laura F said...

We'd all be back for 12-14 weeks next summer, and the rumor is Nestle hires something like 85% of their interns after graduation!

Cheryl said...

What great news. I am glad Justin got to go and take a peek at your old place. Every time I go to Louisville I drive down Shenandoah and if there are no cars around, pull over and just stare at our old home. It's strange to see the bushes and flowers you have planted, the fence you built and have the wave of memories come flooding back. Good times, but it's always hard to remember how much has passed since then too.

I hope Justin gets the internship. That would be such great news. Keep us posted.