Friends don't let Friends Adopt Utah Driving Habits
I thought it was a myth - the "utah driver" phenomenon... I'm sorry and sad to admit finally that I now think it's all true! I know, there are poor drivers all over the country, but I have seriously been in so many near-misses since we've moved here it's insane, and they're all such weird situations I can only conclude it's because we're back in Utah - people driving the wrong direction, turning across double yellows, speeding through parking lots and just not paying any attention to the world around them in general. I have two particular gripes, although my husband doesn't quite agree:
First - the speed limits and the total disdain for them. Okay, like most people I have my little "rule of ten" when driving... stay under ten over the speed limit and you're usually okay. Not here, however. If you're going 75 in the middle lane (speed limit 65) on the freeway, MOVE OVER because you're about to be passed on BOTH sides. Sometimes it's a little freaky how fast people drive! And puhleeze, if you're going to be travelling at a brisk 90 MPH, for goodness sake take the "baby on board" sticker out of your back window or remove the babies 'r us sunshield from the window. I'll cringe less.
Next, it's that dang carpool lane. I understand it's to ease congestion by encouraging people to drive with others, thus reducing the number of cars on the road. I agree it should move a little more quickly than the average lane. I guess I could concede that 80 MPH is pretty average in most circumstances. I do not, however, believe it creates slow, medium, fast, and warp-speed lanes, nor does it serve as an excuse for reckless driving. And that double white line, is that just a suggestion? I've yet to figure that one out.
Okay, I just had to vent. And because I grew up in Utah I admit I never realized the problem and thought my out of state friends were just picking on us. However, after living somewhere else for a while I've changed my mind. I believe the first step to the cure is recognizing the problem, so please, as friends, let's help each other out. Are there other things that make you crazy when driving in this area? Or am I just being too harsh myself?
No comments:
Post a Comment